Wednesday Crush – Anita Okanigbe-John.
Today, I am crushing on myself.
It has taken me many years to get to this point in my life where I can say, without a shadow of doubt that I truly love and believe in myself.
After painful childhood and bitter experiences of my teenage years, through many failures, disappointments and rejections, I now look back and smile as I see my scars becoming stars.
My story is one that is better imagined than experienced! People never stop asking me after reading my autobiography ‘Miracle In The Storm’ if I am superhuman.
No, I am not! It is the Christ in me that makes the difference and I stand today to testify of his faithful:
* Rejected at birth for being the 7th daughter.
* Sexually molested at age 8
* Taken away from my parent at age 10
* Faced domestic abuse from age 11 to 17
* Dropped out of secondary school at age 17
* Became homeless at age 18
* Lived on the street for years depending on strangers for food
* Suffered emotional and psychological trauma for more than 10 years
* Suffered acute depression for years and attempted suicide twice
Yet I was able to rise above all these to acquire an MSc degree, become a sought-after speaker, an author of more than 5 books, certified life coach and founder of an NGO that is transforming lives across Africa.
I think I deserve some accolade…lol
God not only turned my MESS into a MESSAGE of hope for others, He took my painful past and gave me a glorious future. Then He opened the doors of nations onto me with countless opportunities to transform lives.
Now like King David, I can’t help but cried out ‘who am I that You are so mindful of me? Who am I that You would visit me oh God’? I am amazed at your mercy and grace upon my life.
To you who is reading this, I urge you to keep believing, keep trusting, keep pushing and one day, the world will celebrate you.